Pre Divorce Tips
- Don't incur any new debt.
- Consider setting up an emergency account, however, be prepared to account for any monies removed or expended.
- Get an insurance check up.
- Obtain a copy of your credit report and monitor it carefully.
- Prepare a budget.
- Consider revoking or modifying old wills and codicils, health care directives, living wills and durable power of attorneys.
- Amend your W-4 to reflect your soon to be divorced status.
- Do not volunteer for any additional overtime, it will increase your support obligation.
- If you have children, spend time with them. Make an effort to be involved in their daily lives. You want to be able to show the judge how involved a parent you can be
- Gather income and investment information, 401K statements, pension statements, bank statements and debt information for both you and your spouse.
- Get a market analysis of your properties.